- Professor and Research Director at the Center for Sport at the University of Aarhus in Denmark
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Performance Enhancing Drugs (Such as Steroids) Be Accepted in Sports?"
“It has been asserted that sport would lose its power to fascinate and its popularity if medically hazardous doping practices were not eliminated. But panicked pronouncements of this kind stand in direct contradiction to the attitude taken toward other forms of culture with which sport can be compared.
Consider, for example, how we look on with equanimity as ballet dancers submit their bodies to training regimens that turn some of them into invalids…
Or think about how we continue to appreciate the music of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, despite the fact that all of them died as a consequence of alcohol and drug abuse before they turned thirty. Who really believes that someone who has learned to appreciate their music might suddenly wake up one day and say it wasn’t worth listening to, because he had just found out that this music was inspired by illicit drugs?”
The Doping Devil, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to performance enhancing drugs and sports. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to performance enhancing drugs and sports.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Professor, Center for Sport, University of Aarhus (Denmark), 2006-present
- Research Director, Center for Sport, University of Aarhus, 2006-present
- Associate Professor, Institute of Sports Science and Biomechanics of Southern Denmark, (Odense, Denmark), 2002-2006
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, 2000-2002
- Honorary Research Fellow, Keele University (England), 1998-1999
- Doctoral Fellow,Institute of Sports Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Odense, 1994-1997
- Teaching and Research Assistant, Institute of Sports Science, University of Odense, 1991-1993
- PhD, University of Odense
- MA, English and Sports, 1991, school unknown
- None found
- Quoted in: