- Three-time Olympic Swimmer and 10-time Olympic medalist
- Con to the question "Should Performance-Enhancing Drugs Be Accepted in Sports?"
“Clean athletes have a responsibility to not remain silent when it comes to doping in sports…
It was announced on Friday that the International Olympic Committee had stripped the gold medal from the 2000 U.S. men’s 1,600-meter relay team…
In this decision the IOC has done more to collar the cheats in sport than any anti-doping agency could hope to achieve. They sent a message to all clean athletes that doping will not be tolerated, and the people with the most to lose are the clean athletes, not the cheaters.
Cheaters only risk the truth being known. Clean athletes will have their dream ripped away from them for simply standing alongside a guilty teammate.
That’s cruel. Is it cruel enough for clean athletes to stand up and take action against dopers, teammate or not?
Let’s hope so.”
“A Few Choice Words for Athletes,” latimes.com, Aug. 2, 2008
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Gold medalist, 50m freestyle, Summer Olympic Games, Athens, Greece, 2004
- Bronze medalist, 4x100m freestyle relay, Summer Olympic Games, Athens, Greece, 2004
- Gold medalist, 50m and 4x100m medley relay, Summer Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000
- Silver medalist, 4x100m freestyle relay, Summer Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000
- Bronze medalist, 100m freestyle, Summer Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000
- Gold medalist, 4x100m medley relay and 4x100m freestyle relay, Summer Olympic Games, Atlanta, GA, 1996
- Silver medalist, 100m freestyle and 50m freestyle, Summer Olympic Games, Atlanta, GA, 1996
- Writer, “Olympics: Ticket to Beijing” blog, latimes.com, 2008
- Recipient, USA Swimming Humanitarian Award, 2004
- Founder, The Race Club, 2003
- Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1999
- Founder, Gary Hall, Jr. Foundation for Diabetes
- National Spokesperson, American Diabetes Association
- Celebrity Advocate, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Global Ambassador, Inspired By Diabetes
- Member, Board of Directors, International Swimming Hall of Fame
- Member, Diabetes Research Institute
- Attended Arizona State University
- Attended University of Texas, 1993-1994
- Born on Sep. 26, 1974 in Cincinnati, OH
- His father made the Olympic teams for swimming in 1968, 1972, and 1976
- Quoted in: